Terms and Conditions
1.1 Welcome to the SABC + video & audio streaming service offering you on-the-house (free of charge) television and audio channels. These are Over The Top (OTT) audio-visual and audio content services for usage via computer, mobile smartphone, tablet and other similar devices including smart-TVs (Devices) as detailed in these T&C and which are accessed through the SABC website and the SABC + application (app) together the “SABC + Services".
1.2 These T&Cs govern the use of the SABC+ Services, and use of the website and app.
1.3 Please read these T&C carefully. Your use of the SABC+ Service and/or the website and app will constitute your acceptance, as the user, of these T&C. It is your obligation to review and check these T&C and any updates hereto regularly
2. Acceptance Of These Terms and Conditions:
These T&C must be treated as being qualified, to the extent necessary, to ensure that the applicable provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, 2008 (“CPA”) are complied with to the extent that they may be applicable to these T&C. Nothing in these T&C is intended or must be understood to unlawfully restrict, limit or avoid any right or obligation, as the case may be, created for either you or us in terms of the CPA or any other applicable law.
3. Changes To The SABC+ Services
3.1 The SABC+ Services is available from 17 November 2022 until such date as advised by the SABC (Offer Period).
3.2 Notwithstanding the Offer Period, the SABC may, in its sole and absolute discretion, amend the duration of the Offer Period to a shorter or longer period, or withdraw the SABC+ Services or any content in its entirety, or parts thereof, upon notice posted on the Website. The SABC also reserves the right from time to time to introduce charges for offerings on the SABC+ Services as it may decide in its sole discretion.
3.3 It is your responsibility to visit the website regularly for notices, updates and/or changes to the SABC+ Services.
3.4 Changes will apply to your use of the SABC+ Services, website and/or app after the change is displayed on the website. If you use the SABC+ Services, website and/or app after the updated or amended T&C have been displayed on the website, you will be deemed to have accepted the updates or amendments.
4. Who Is Eligible
4.1 The SABC+ Services are available to all SABC customers and/or users who wish to make use of the service.
- 1.1 The SABC+ Service is only available to persons within the Republic of South Africa who are 18 (eighteen) years of age or older and who have the capacity to enter into legally binding agreements. For any user of the SABC+ Services who is under the age of 18 (eighteen), or not legally permitted to enter into a binding agreement, your parent or legal guardian must supervise you and give their permission to be bound to these T&C and to be liable and responsible for you and all your obligations under these T&C and such permission shall be deemed to have been given by your parent or legal guardian upon your use of the SABC + Services, website and apps.
5.1 You are able to discover the SABC+ Services (or parts thereof) on the website or app.
5.2 Start the app Store application on your device. Locate or find the SABC+ application in the store and download it.
6.1 No payment is required to watch the free content
7.1 The SABC+ Services:
7.2 are available for private, non-commercial use in the Republic of South Africa only. You may only access and use the SABC+ Services via your Device(s) in the Republic of South Africa. You may not sell or levy any charge for watching the content or using any part of the SABC+ Services or show any part of the content in public to an audience, even if no charge is levied.
7.3 Please confirm your internet data service rules with your service provider and note that data charges are strictly for your own account.
7.4 You will be able to access the SABC+ Services only when you are in the Republic of South Africa in an area covered by internet in the Republic of South Africa.
7.5 SABC+ shall be entitled to prohibit or terminate your participation in and access the SABC+ if you do not meet the criteria detailed herein and/or if you are involved in any fraudulent activity or suspected fraudulent activity or any other activity that breaches these T&C.
7.6 You must not access or use the SABC+ for any improper or unlawful purpose or in any manner which infringes SABC+ Service’s or any other party’s rights.
7.7 You must not copy, modify, reproduce, transfer, republish, post, broadcast or transmit the content on the SABC+ Services in any form or in any way.
7.8 You must view the content prior to the end of the relevant period of access to the content. The period of access will not be extended if you stop or pause the content.
7.9 All over-the-top and internet protocol television users must make use of their own data, at their own cost. For avoidance of doubt, over-the-top and internet protocol television refers to the delivery of audio, video and other media over the internet without a multiple system operator or broadcaster being involved in the control or distribution of the content in the Republic of South Africa.
7.10 You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the SABC+ Services or any of it’s content. You may not copy, transmit or distribute, reproduce, upload, post, publicly display, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, modify, or create derivative works of the SABC+ Services or any of the content. Any attempt to do so is a violation of the rights of SABC+ and its licensors. If you breach this restriction, you may be subject to prosecution and damages.
7.11 You agree not to use any device, software or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Website, App or SABC+ Service, or with any other person’s use thereof.
7.12 You must not use the website, app or SABC+ Services for any purpose that is unlawful, not permitted by these T&C, or prohibited by these T&C, or to solicit the performance of any illegal activity or other activity which infringes the rights of SABC+ Services, its licensors, service providers or others.
7.13 You shall not interfere with the range of security measures applicable to the website, app or SABC+ Services. You agree to immediately inform SABC+ Services in the event that you become aware of any unauthorized access, copying, modification, storage, forwarding, transmission and/or retransmission of the website, app or SABC+ Services, or any part thereof.
7.14 SABC+ shall be entitled to temporarily prohibit access or participation in and access to the SABC+ Services. If you are involved in any activity which breaches these T&Cs.
7.15 You agree and acknowledge that your use of the SABC +, and/or website and/or app will include advertisements during different stages of some or all of the content and on the website and/or app.
- 1 SABC+ Services/SABC makes no warranties or representations as to the accuracy or completeness of the website, app and/or SABC+ Services
- 2 SABC+ Services/SABC does not warrant that the website, app and/or SABC+ Services is compatible with your computer equipment or software. It is your wholly responsibility to check compatibility prior to purchasing any subscriptions to the SABC+ Services.
- 3 SABC+ Services/SABC will try to ensure the accuracy of all information displayed on the website, app and SABC+ Services/SABC but does not guarantee or give any warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of any information or material thereon. The effect of this clause is that SABC+ Services/SABC does not confirm that: the website, app or SABC+ Services is complete and accurate; your computer or electronic device will be free from viruses or harmful software from the website, app or SABC+ Services/SABC; the website, app or SABC+ Services is accessible from your computer or electronic device; or that the information and content provided on the website, app or SABC+ Services is accurate
- 4 Whilst every effort has been made by SABC+ Services and its suppliers of information to ensure the proper performance of every SABC+ Services/SABC, its affiliated companies, suppliers, service providers and any of their employees do not guarantee, and makes no warranties or representations as to the availability and functionality of the SABC+ Services/SABC, content and information offered, beyond that described on the website, app or SABC+ Services/SABC.
- 5 Subject to any applicable law, in particular SABC+ Services/SABC, makes no warranty that the SABC+ Services will meet your requirements, be uninterrupted, timely or error free.
- 6 In order to use the SABC+ Services, the user is required to fulfil the necessary technical requirements. The user shall bear the costs of access to the internet as well as any possible connection costs incurred. These costs are not included in the SABC+ Services. Should the technical standards in the internet or video service change, the user shall adapt to these changes on his or her own account. The SABC+ Services strongly advises all users to contact their service provider and ensure that they are on the best possible data package to minimise these costs.
The effect of this clause is that you may only rely on what SABC+ Services states on its website or app in relation to the SABC+ Services/SABC. If you rely on anything else stated about the SABC+ Services you will not be entitled to claim from SABC+ Services for any losses or harm suffered. SABC+ Services also does not represent or warrant that: the SABC+ Services will be uninterrupted and timely, that all content will be available at all times or that the SABC+ Services will not contain any errors.
9. Cooling-off Period And Cancellation Of The SABC+ Service By You
- 1 Should you wish to unsubscribe or cancel your SABC+ account/profile, please email email@example.com. You acknowledge that all information and history relating to your account will be removed and for use of the service at a later stage, you will need to create a new account/profile.
10. Protection Of Your Personal Information
11. Intellectual Property
- 1 The SABC+ Services/SABC name and logo is the intellectual property of SABC and may not be used in any way without obtaining SABC prior written permission.
- 2 All other content on the website, app and SABC+ Services is either owned by SABC or licenced to it and you may not use, distribute, reproduce and/or adapt in any way the content other than as specifically permitted in these T&C.
12. Security Of Website
- 1 SABC will take all reasonable technical and organisational measures to protect any user data transmitted over the website and app.
- 2 SABC cannot guarantee the security of any data transmitted online and the user accepts the risk of providing information on the website and app.
13. Limitation Of Liability
- 1 Subject to the provisions of the CPA, to the extent allowed by any other applicable law and subject to clauses 15.2 and 15.3 below, the SABC will not be liable to you for, and you indemnify and hold the SABC harmless against, any loss or damage suffered (whether it is direct or indirect) arising from, or connected to:
- 1.1 your network services being interrupted, suspended, or cancelled, for whatever reason; or
- 1.2 SABC+ Services/SABC not suspending the provision of Services to you after you have specifically requested SABC+ Services/SABC to do so; or
- 1.3 any negligent act or failure to act by SABC, its employees or agents;
- 1.4 the use of any device (whether supplied to you by SABC+ Services or not) relating to the SABC+ Services/SABC;
- 1.5 your use of the Website, App or SABC+ Services;
- 1.6 your inability to use the website, app or SABC+ Services;
- 1.7 any operational failure of the website, app or SABC+ Services;
- 1.8 unlawful activity on the website, app or SABC+ Services and/or any linked third party websites;
- 1.9 your reliance on any information or content provided on the website, as SABC+ Services makes all reasonable efforts to ensure that the information and content on the website is complete and accurate;
- 1.10 your improper use of the SABC+ Services;
- 1.11 any virus downloaded from the website by you; and/or
- 1.12 breach of security over the website unless it is due to the gross negligence of SABC+ Services, the effect of this clause is that you will not be entitled to make any claims against SABC+ Services where you have suffered any loss or harm as a result of anything related to the list provided in this clause 13.1
- 2 Clause 13.1 does not limit or exclude any warranties or obligations which are implied into the SABC+ Services by the CPA (to the extent applicable) or which SABC+ gives under the CPA (to the extent applicable), to the extent that the law does not allow them to be limited or excluded.
- 3 Clause 13.1 does not limit or exempt SABC+ Services from liability for any loss directly or indirectly attributable to the gross negligence of SABC+ Services or any person acting for or controlled by SABC+ Services to the extent that the law does not allow this.
- 4 Clause 13.1 also does not limit or exclude the liability of SABC+ Services for death or personal injury caused to you through an act or omission of SABC+ Services subject to the CPA, to the extent that the law does not allow this.
Any illegal or unenforceable provision of these T&C may be severed and the remaining provisions of these T&C continue in force.
15. Applicable Law And Jurisdiction
- 1 These T&C are governed by the law of the Republic of South Africa.
- 2 Except to the extent that any other regulatory authority has jurisdiction, you agree that the High Court of South Africa has jurisdiction over any disputes arising from these T&C.
16. Contact SABC+
In the event of a query or to lodge a complaint, you must contact SABC+ at